What is an acceptable surface to be resurfaced?
What is the most important factor in concrete resurfacing?
- Cleaning the concrete: methods vary depending on the condition of the existing concrete.
- Repairing the cracks
- Profiling the concrete to give it enough “grab” to bond with the resurfacing bond coat.
- At this point, the resurfacing process starts.
Is decorative concrete maintenance free?
- In most cases, residential concrete floors experience light foot traffic, and a simple cleaning regimen of occasional sweeping and damp mopping will keep concrete floors looking like new for many years.
- When protected with a good sealer and a coat of floor finish or wax, concrete floors are highly resistant to staining, chemicals and abrasion.
- If your concrete floor ever loses its luster or shine, cleaning of the floor and reapplying a coat or two of floor finish will normally bring it back to its original state. In a non-aggressive environment such as a home, it’s not uncommon to have a year or more go by with just light maintenance before it’s necessary to buff and refinish the floor.
- In areas of heavy traffic, such as entrances and foyers, you can reduce maintenance and wear and tear by using floor mats both inside and outside of the entryways.
Are concrete floors slippery?
- Application of a high-gloss sealer to protect and enhance decorative concrete may reduce traction somewhat, but that’s easily remedied by mixing a nonslip additive into the stain or sealer before application.
- Kept clean and dry, polished concrete floors are generally no slicker than plain concrete surfaces, and they tend to be less slippery than waxed linoleum or polished marble.
How long does concrete flooring last?
Many flooring options are initially cheaper than decorative concrete, but concrete will last longer and eventually give you a better return on your investment. The cost of a concrete floor over a lifetime can be comparable or even lower than other high-end flooring materials. Concrete floors rarely, if ever, need replacement, especially if properly installed and maintained.
Are decorative concrete floors expensive?
Do overlays and colored concrete fade?
Cleaning and sealing overlays and colored concrete should be done on a regular basis, just like any other home maintenance. The frequency will depend on how often the space is exposed to cars, foot traffic, water, and any chemicals. We recommend resealing every 2 or 3 years. If you wait longer, you may notice the color fade slightly, but just like waxing a car, resealing your concrete will return it to the vibrancy of the day it was installed.
Tips for Hiring a Contractor
- Check for references.
- Check with licensing authorities www.contractors-license.org. Not all states require a license.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org
You Pay for Quality when Hiring a Contractor
Avoid getting caught in the low-bidding trap when choosing a contractor.
- Get bids from several contractors.
- Be wary of going with the lowest bid. Top-quality work requires a lot of skill, labor and artistic talent, which can all add to the final installation cost.
- Remember, you get what you pay for.
- Go with a contractor who’s willing to show what he can do for you, such as preparing a jobsite sample of the proposed work.